Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tactfully Tactless - learning to communicate is hard!

I seem to unintentionally hurt people's feelings a lot. I'm a little brash, and speak my mind a little too often for most people's taste. I don't ever intend to hurt anyone - outside of an argument, of course, we've all said things in anger that we don't mean.

I just find that there are so many circumstances that start out with me being polite and kind, but end with me being short tempered and not as tactful, with the other person's feelings bruised.

I try to voice my opinions in ways that people can easily understand and relate to, even if they don't agree. Of course I'm going to sound a little bit confident when I speak, but some view it as stating my opinion as fact.

For anyone or any friend I have done this to, I apologize. It was never my intent to hurt your feelings or change who you are. I was trying to communicate my feelings and seemed to have failed miserably.

I'll never stop speaking my mind, and I'll never stop caring. I will just change the way that I communicate. If something isn't working, you change it up and try something new, right?

I hope that everyone adopts that school of thought. It might make the world a lot nicer place if we consider the direct impact we have on someone with our words alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment