Thursday, March 26, 2009

Not asking for trouble... asking for help!

I understand that many people, if not most, will not understand my condition. I realize that it sometimes takes multiple rounds of explanation and neverending patience with my friends before they understand what kind of situation I'm dealing with. The same goes with work; I can't expect any coworker or boss to just 'understand' fibromyalgia/CFS and never question it... but when I do my best to bring it to their attention, with all proper documentation lined up, and with all of the information they could possibly need... only to be shut down.

My schedule change request was denied, which just means that I'm stuck on graveyard until someone else comes along and takes it. I realize it's not the easiest shift to hire someone into, and I would actually ENJOY the hours, if my body could handle the extra stress.

I have high levels of Epstein Barr in my system that occasionally spike up, causing me to have recurring bouts of Mono. It resides in my liver and will make me seriously ill if I get too little sleep, too much stress, or work my body too hard. All of which I'm accomplishing by working graveyard shifts. I'm killing myself without even trying!

I wish there were someone I could call for advice, or for support with this issue. Human Resources treats me like I'm a total waste of their time, and that I'm ridiculous for even asking for help. I have the EEOC contact process, but do I really want to escalate this issue to the state or federal level? I know retaliation is illegal, but PROVING retaliation is impossible, and I know it'll happen. It's happened to others before me, and I'm not so simple as to think she'll give me a break.

The facts are that I'm good at my job, I'm smart, and capable. This schedule diminishes my capabilities by about 50%, and makes me look simply adequate. If I got a good night's sleep, and settled into a regular schedule, I may have a shot at a normal life. Instead, I work overnight while others are sleeping, feeling my body get weaker and weaker, until I end up in the hospital for days. 

I'd really like to avoid sickness as much as I can... but there are some giant obstacles in my way. I work because I need the income, healthcare, and livelihood. I'm 27 years old and not about to bow out of the workplace due to an illness. I will get past this. I need to be given a fair opportunity to beat this, and then I can come back to work graveyards, if needed. I like my job, I like my team, and the company... but it goes to show, one person can really ruin it all. I'm somewhat appalled that the one person causing the stress hasn't been called on the carpet.

I'm all about accountability, and if something happens to me because I'm stuck between a rock and proverbial hard place... one person will be responsible.


No comments:

Post a Comment